If you want to get into scrapbooking but don’t know what materials and tools to buy and which techniques to start with, our article will help you a lot. First of all, let’s define what scrapbooking is.
Scrapbooking is a book, card, or box, which presents your personal or your family memories and history in a printed form. To start scrapbooking you have to get a certain set of tools and materials as well as determine which technique you’re going to use.
The first and the most important step is to decide what you want to scrapbook. It can be either a small album, a medium album, or a big album. As a beginner, you can go for a smaller one. It is a great idea if you don’t have a lot of photos right now or if you have a lot of photos and want to divide them by events like wedding, anniversary, Christmas holidays, etc. So, it is a good option and a perfect starting point for a beginner.
And now, let’s skip to the materials you’re going to need.
Scrapbooking: Basic Tools and Materials
The materials you’re going to need for a scrapbook depend on the style you’re going to follow – a classic one or a pocket pages one. In pocket style, you have to fit decorative cards in a certain format, and all your decorations will have to be small. In classic scrapbooking, you just stick your pictures on the pattern paper, and have lots of space to use your imagination to the fullest. Let’s look at the materials you will need for both styles:
- Printer. It is needed if you want to print your photographs at home rather than at Target or Walgreens. Aside from photos, you may want to print out some patterns, like paper lace, to decorate your albums.
- Scissors. Invest in a scissors with a long blade, and in smaller ones.
- Tape runner and glue.
- Markers of different colours.
- All kinds of ribbons, lace, dried flowers and leaves, feathers, beads, etc.
Basic Scrapbooking Techniques
There are several scrapbooking techniques, which are considered to be basic due to their popularity and frequency of usage.
- Stamping. Using this method you can create custom background designs and patterns with stamps of different shapes and sizes.
- Craft punches. You put a paper with a picture or a word in the craft punch and press it to get a punch shape.
- Decoupage. It is the process of gluing paper, fabrics, napkins, ribbons and other stuff onto a surface.
Hopefully these small secrets of scrapbooking will help you to make the first steps in your new hobby a lot easier. On the other hand, use your imagination and creativity and try to make something new and unusual, whatever advice you are given. The aim of scrapbooking is to be fun and to inspire.