Handmade scrapbook albums, postcards and notebooks are created in different manners of decoration. They often differ in their colors, techniques, patterns and embellishments.
Freestyle in scrapbooking
Given manner of decoration, as the name implies, is free and improvised. However, it has some distinctive features:
- the background is clean, colored with paints or spray or designed with stencils, stamps and prints;
- sometimes colorful splashes, blurs, blots, stains are added;
- additional details and decorations may be collected from a variety of different items and painted if needed;
- inscriptions, titles and journaling are creative: written with color pen, cut from a newspaper, made out of different sized letters.
Clean and Simple
An elegant manner of decoration which is known for:
- minimum details and decorations;
- no patterned paper, the background is one color, usually pale;
- any color can be used, even bright and saturated one;
Vintage Style In Scrapbooking
Vintage never goes out of fashion, exactly that’s why vintage style is widely used in scrapbooking. So what’s so special about this manner of decoration?
- Decorating an album in vintage manner, people use old photographs, they may be either black and white or color; sometimes the photos are artificially aged;
- this style requires mild, pale and pastel colors, such as pastel pink, mild blue, etc.;
- the pages are usually decorated with buttons, lace, fiber, pearls, flowers, thread or ribbons.
The American style
Modern scrapbooking originated in the USA, that’s why the American style is considered to be the classic and the simplest one. These are the basic characteristics of the American style:
- the photo is the spotlight;
- the style allows using different types of patterned paper, however the paper has to be in one color;
- there are a lot of decorations on the page, multilayered decoration is expected.
Tender and elegant albums made in Shabby chic manner can’t leave anyone indifferent. Such manner has gained popularity among a great number of people due to some of its distinctive features, such as:
- colors: white, sky blue, light green, pastel pink, ivory, light grey;
- details: flowers, roses, angels, birds, pearls, frames;
- fabric: cotton, linen, lace.
Mixed media is a manner combining a variety of different techniques. The key peculiarity of Mixed media is paint applied through the stencil. Here are some techniques used in Mixed media:
- discoloration of photo;
- usage of retro or vintage pictures, etc.
The European Style
The European style, also known as the French style or AZZA, is extremely popular in France and Belgium. The European manner is known for its distinctive feature – geometric figures. There are usually a lot of photos of the page which form an overall picture. The pages are also colored with chalk, pencils, markers, ink, gel pens, etc.
Scrapbooking implies numerous styles, however, everyone can go and create something totally unique, since scrapbooking as a hobby means to be fun.